Cayman Islands governor speaks out on latest murders

0

By Caribbean News Now contributor

GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands — Following three murders in the space of five days, the governor of the Cayman Islands, Duncan Taylor, has issued a statement expressing his horror and disgust at the brutal events.

duncan_taylor2.jpg
Governor Duncan Taylor

"This violence is shocking and intolerable. I have today met with the Commissioner of Police and have spoken to the Premier (overseas on business) and Acting Premier about them. We are deeply concerned by what has happened and are committed to doing everything possible to ensure that the violence stops and that the perpetrators are swiftly brought to justice.”

In response to the murders earlier last week, the police have increased the number of uniformed and armed police officers and the police commissioner has said that these higher levels will be maintained for the foreseeable future. The police have also set up dedicated investigative teams to set about the securing of evidence and bringing those responsible to justice.

Taylor said he had called a meeting first thing Monday morning with the premier, the deputy governor, the attorney general, the director of public prosecutions and the commissioner of police to explore every possible way, within the law, in which the escalation in violence can be dealt with.

“We will look very carefully and critically at what we are doing now and consider creatively and exhaustively the range of other possible options available to us. This level of violence is completely unacceptable and we must and will do whatever is necessary to stop it continuing. That is our priority,” he said.

print

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.