More West Indies cricket controversy

0

by Caribbean News Now Staff

GEORGETOWN, Guyana – More controversy has arisen over the administration of West Indies cricket, as three executive members of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) distanced themselves from a controversial High Court injunction brought against the West Indies Players Association (WIPA), its president Dinanath Ramnarine and player management company WIPMACOL.

Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported that GCB vice president Bissoon Singh, chairman of selectors Claude Raphael, and Ronald Williams told a media conference they have never been in agreement with the move by the GCB and wanted to publicly disassociate themselves from it.

Last month, the GCB successfully brought an ex parte injunction against WIPA, Ramnarine and WIPMACOL, to prevent Ramnarine from acting on behalf of Guyana’s Champions League Twenty 20-bound squad.

However, the trio said they never gave permission for their names to be included in the legal proceedings although they were GCB officials.

"It we lose this case, each of us (executives) will be involved and could lose millions of dollars as individuals if Ramnarine really goes after the board," said Singh, also the president of the Demerara Cricket Board.

"I want my name removed even if it means taking legal action against those who put it in the first place.

"Some on the GCB don’t realise the seriousness of the matter and we (GCB) are not a corporation then we could be penalized individually if things don’t go our way in court," Singh added.

Both Raphael and Williams said they intended to have their lawyers ensure that they were disassociated from the case, which comes up for hearing again on September 13, when the Chief Justice is set to rule on the preliminary objections filed by Ramnarine’s legal team on Thursday.

print

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.