GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands (CNS) -- The Public Health Department is investigating a case of zika virus in a patient who had visited the Cayman Islands and tested positive on returning home. Despite releasing information to the media last week claiming that the Cayman Islands was still zika free, officials released a statement Friday evening about the possible arrival of the disease there.
“On 1 June 2016, the Public Health Department was notified that a visitor to the Cayman Islands, who was tested on returning home, was reportedly diagnosed with the zika virus infection,” said Dr Samuel Williams Rodriguez, the acting medical officer of health.
“With immediate effect, my office contacted the individual and we are in ongoing communication to ascertain the exact details of the individual’s travel history, onset of symptoms and location of stay during the visit to the Islands including other pertinent information that will assist in this investigation to confirm the alleged exposure to the zika virus in the Cayman Islands,” he added.
He said a comprehensive report would be issued on completion of the enquiries. “All relevant stakeholders are fully aware of this situation. We ask that (the public) exercise patience as the investigation is completed.”
Williams Rodriguez also urged people to continue taking the necessary preventative measures against being bitten by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.
Republished with permission of Cayman News Service