Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Countries/Territories

Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin
Instagram



News from OECS:



Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)



OECS
Prev    Next
Montserrat enlists OECS support in dispute with CDB
Published on April 13, 2017Email To Friend    Print Version

donaldson_romeo10.jpg
Premier Donaldson Romeo

By Tanisha Christopher
Reporter at Radio Montserrat (ZJB)

BRADES Montserrat -- The government of Montserrat has enlisted the support of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) Commission in its bid to have the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) re-examine its decision to drop Montserrat from its list of Basic Needs Trust Fund (BNTF) beneficiary countries.

The bank notified the government earlier this year that Montserrat was no longer eligible to receive financial support under the regional programme.

The reason given was that the island’s per capita GDP position has improved, causing the island to be classified as a high income country.

Premier Donaldson Romeo, speaking on local radio in a special interview on Monday, said the director general of the OECS, Dr Didacus Jules, is now working with his government to make a case on Montserrat’s behalf.

Romeo said he intends to challenge the bank’s argument that Montserrat has made commendable strides in its development.

He says the island is still heavily dependent on aid from Britain’s Department for International Development (DfID) and a withdrawal of BNTF funds would be a major setback to the economy.

“Clearly, for an island that has been 50 to 60 percent dependent on Her Majesty’s Government for the past 20 years, that is a clear sign that we have not grown,” the premier argued. “I don’t think it would be difficult for us to make the point to CDB, that Montserrat is unique and needs to be treated uniquely and I am quite sure that even Her Majesty’s government will agree on the importance of BNTF, because failing the contribution the BNTF makes, it means DfID will have to step to the plate even more to address the basic needs the [fund] has been addressing.”

Romeo says he has already written to the chair of the CDB’s board of governors, Premier Sharlene Cartwright Robinson of the Turks and Caicos Islands, to have the matter placed on the agenda at the 47th annual meeting of the CDB on May 24.

The premier also stated his intention to lobby the support of OECS heads of government when they met in St Vincent and the Grenadines on Wednesday for the 64th meeting of the authority.
 
Reads : 7595






Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.

Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, it will be a waste of your time typing your submission because we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code *

 


Prev    Next

 




Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: