Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Countries/Territories

Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin
Instagram



News from the Caribbean:




Immigration
Prev    Next
No evidence of Barbadians detained under new US immigration rules, says PM
Published on February 21, 2017Email To Friend    Print Version

freundel_stuart15.jpg
Prime Minister Freundel Stuart

By Kathyann Husbands

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (BGIS) -- No Barbadians are being detained under the new immigration policy being implemented by the United States.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart gave this assurance following media reports that 19 Barbadian nationals had been held as part of a crackdown by immigration authorities in the US.

Stuart explained that investigations with Barbados’ consulate-general in New York revealed that the claim was untrue.

“The foreign minister received information that 19 Barbadians had been detained. The information did not come from the consulate itself, it came from a Barbadian living in New York, so we asked the consulate there to investigate the matter and we received a reply today that the news was fake,” the prime minister stated.

He continued: “They said they did a thorough investigation and if Barbadians were detained or going to be deported, the [US] authorities would consult or contact the consulate. They said they had received no such contact, there was no consultation with them, and all of their investigations failed to turn up any information that would suggest that Barbadians in New York or any other part of the United States were in trouble as a result of any rounding up of people to get them out of the country.”

On January 27, the United States issued an Executive Order intended to protect the US from the entry of foreign terrorists. That “travel ban” has been halted by the US Court of Appeals for the time being.
 
Reads : 5901






Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.

Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, it will be a waste of your time typing your submission because we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code *

 


Prev    Next

 

 






Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: