Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us
Antigua Gospelfest


Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.


Submit news and opinion for publication


Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.


Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin

News from the Caribbean:

Back To Today's News

Sandals statement prompts call for mistrial in Turks and Caicos
Published on February 1, 2016 Email To Friend    Print Version

Ralph Thorne QC. Photo: MagneticMediaTV

By Caribbean News Now contributor

PROVIDENCIALES, TCI -- Following the recent disclosure of secret payments made to former Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) premier Michael Misick by one or more Sandals-related companies (Prosecution outlines secret payments made by Sandals to Turks and Caicos ministers), Sandals Resort International issued a statement on Friday acknowledging that the payments in question were in fact made, which has prompted Ralph Thorne QC, representing Misick at the trial to file an application to the court to declare a mistrial.

“…we now have a large corporate entity feeling obliged to issue a statement in relation to issues that pertain to contested evidence in the case,” Thorne noted.

He said it is a matter for the judge to consider whether the statement is contemptuous of the court and whether it is calculated to unduly and improperly influence the proceedings.

“As Mr Misick's lawyer, my immediate concern is that the statement is so highly prejudicial to his rights and to his presumption of innocence, that it defeats his opportunity for a fair trial. My client has lost his right to a fair trial,” Thorne said.

“It is a fact that those payments were made,” Sandals said in its statement on Friday.

According to Sandals, the matter first came to light in the course of investigation by the US Department of Justice. This triggered a series of internal investigations by Sandals to determine the source of the payment and the responsible parties. Tom Scott, a retired Federal judge, was retained by Sandals to assist with the investigation and a forensic accounting firm in Washington DC was also engaged to conduct an in-depth accounting investigation into the affair.

The results of the investigation and the forensic audit revealed that some US$1,650,000 had been paid to Prestigious Properties Limited, a real estate company in which Michael Misick, Phillip Misick and Washington Misick were the shareholders, and Chalmers Misick & Co., a firm of lawyers in the TCI.

“All those payments were made without the knowledge or consent of the principals of Sandals,” the company said.

The unauthorized payments were made by a senior executive and then treasurer of Sandals. This culminated in the separation of the senior executive from the company and was followed by Sandals filing a lawsuit against him in The Bahamas to recover the unauthorized payments.

“The damage done to the company by his actions was substantial. Not only had he betrayed the trust which the chairman and other directors had reposed in him but based on the level of his authority, the company was legally bound by his actions and this culminated in the company having to absorb a fine of US$12 million imposed by the Turks & Caicos authorities,” Sandals said.

“In concluding the investigation, the US Department of Justice said that Sandals had cooperated: ‘…with the United States authorities to a degree that [was] acknowledged to be both extraordinary and unique and included the early and voluntary release of valuable evidence that has been shared with the special investigation prosecution team’,” Sandals pointed out.

“Were it not for the Auld enquiry, which followed Michael Misick’s removal from the premiership in the TCI and the DOJ investigations, the illicit payments might not have come to light,” the statement continued.

The incident triggered a group-wide review of the internal controls with the organisation and during the course of that exercise further instances of irregularities were discovered. One such discovery culminated in the criminal prosecution in Jamaica of Dr Jeffrey Pyne, the Sandals treasurer; and Patrick Lynch and Catherine Barber, both former senior executives affiliated with the group, regarding violation of the ATL/Sandals Pension Fund, which is still the subject of court proceedings.

According to Thorne QC, the statement is a consequence of the practice of the prosecution of issuing daily releases of its unproved opening statement through a website created by the prosecution itself.

He said he considers this practice to be improper and undue and he has expressed this position in court.

“It is clear to me that the publication of the prosecution's opening statement to the judge, and its style, have excited feelings of hostility and antipathy towards my client,” he continued.

Misick was reportedly accosted with threats by an individual last Thursday while he was leaving the court.

“It is my view that the prosecution's daily publication of its highly charged opening statement and this statement have had the cumulative effect of scandalising my client, portraying him contemptuously and ultimately depriving him of the right to a fair trial that is guaranteed by the constitution and by the human rights conventions,” Thorne said.

He acknowledged that a proper balance between fair trial and press freedom must be maintained and he offered no condemnation of the media that seek to inform the public.

However, he asserted, parties to a trial must not exploit the media to seek resolution or ventilate on matters that are properly only within the purview of the court at this time.

“These extra-juridical publications, emanating from the prosecution and from a corporate entity connected to the evidence, are capable of undermining the independence of the judiciary and the dignity of the process of trial. We must not allow this process to degenerate into the nature and spectacle of an inquisition,” he said.
Reads: 7952

Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



C. ben-David:


1. the Sandals revelations are in the public domain already.

2. this is a trial by a judge only who has already heard what is on the web site in court: how could he be unduly influenced by that?


As I said before it is about the Jobs..Would things be different if the money was put into an account that the Government controlled??

For all those that are involved,,I think is about Belongers wanting to control themselves,,not to be controlled by England..My view how do you see it!!???

St8 boy:

The belongers are the ones who suffer at the hands of the politicians who line their pockets and rape the land for their own benefit, now they want to cry freedom? Be lucky the British government intervened or TCI would probably be in tatters. If it were the U.S. they would all be serving lengthy prison terms already, which is what they all deserve...Shame on them!


I am still watching from the US with total dismay that anyone in TCI could even believe these former public servants acted in the best interest of TCI or Belongers. All their misdeeds were directed for their benefit only.

The judge has the obligation to hear ALL the evidence before rendering a decision. I understand most of it is in print as it should be and the peoples of TCI have a right to know it all also. Let's pray he will. Let's also pray he is not influenced by any persons or groups of people either by intimidation, threats or bribes that could influence his decision. Maybe there will be one Judge that is honest, not like the former parties. The bribes were a real factor in doing business with the Misick Cartel. The demand of payments for services not rendered but just to keep the cartel happy destroyed several investment opportunities of up to 800 million from locating on your island.

Misick's counsel is still trying to negate the process and hopes for a mistrial so things can go on as usual. I hope thats not accomplished.


Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Enter Code

Please note that, if you are using an AT&T domain email address, e.g.,,, the verification email will likely not be delivered. This is outside of our control and the only remedy seems to be for readers to complain to AT&T

User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment author and are not representative of Caribbean News Now or its staff. Caribbean News Now accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Caribbean News Now reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments. Any content that is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will not be approved.
Before posting, please refer to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Other Headlines:

Regional Sports: