Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Countries/Territories

Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Travel


Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin



News from the Caribbean:


Back To Today's News

Murdered St Lucia hotelier may have been victim of contract killing, says British newspaper
Published on May 6, 2014 Email To Friend    Print Version

By Caribbean News Now contributor

CASTRIES, St Lucia -- According to British newspaper, The Mail on Sunday, a prominent hotelier recently murdered in Saint Lucia may have been caught up in a money-laundering scheme that cost him his life.

oliver_gobat.jpg
Oliver Gobat
Friends of millionaire Oliver Gobat, 38, said he had been living in fear after being threatened by ‘investors’ in a property deal he was putting together, the newspaper reported.

One theory being pursued by police is that money he was using to finance a new hotel development came from a drugs gang who were using the legitimate business to launder their cash.

Gobat’s charred body was found in the burnt-out wreckage of a Range Rover in an exclusive resort area in the north of the island.

His family owns and operates the luxurious Cap Maison hotel in Saint Lucia. Gobat was also the executive director of The Landings Hotel, once described as one of the Caribbean’s top 25 luxury resort hotels.

Sources said the victim had been shot twice in the head before being doused with gasoline and set alight. Nearby residents had reported hearing sounds of gunshots before spotting flames from the burning vehicle.

A short while later the burned out vehicle was discovered with a body of a man in the passenger seat. Sources said there were no keys in the vehicle and the doors were locked.

The manner of Gobat’s death has led police to believe he was the victim of a contract killing.

A Saint Lucia police spokesman said Gobat’s death was “no ordinary murder” but declined to elaborate further.

A local police source said, “This has all the hallmarks of a professional killing.”

A US intelligence source confirmed that the modus operandi of the killing was known to be that of a South American criminal organisation.

The discovery of the charred remains brings to three the number of dead bodies to have been found in the north of the island last month.

Previously, the body of a 22-year-old man was found, with residents near the area claiming that there was a sack over the head and the hands were bound.

In a separate incident, the decomposed body of a yet unidentified individual was found in bushes.

Gobat’s murder was the island’s 13th homicide for 2014 and local media reported that “over 400 lives have been taken in Saint Lucia without a single charge laid.”

According to local observers, this latest violent death has served to highlight once again a number of unresolved issues for the government of Saint Lucia, including:

• the competency of justice minister Senator Philip La Corbiniere to handle citizen security matters;

• what has been described as a “dysfunctional” forensic laboratory built and equipped at a cost of just over $6 million;

• the propensity of the government to attempt to deal with such incidents as a public relations exercise rather than as a matter for the police and justice system; and

• the police force itself, which remains under a cloud pending the completion and publication of an independent report into alleged murders by its own officers.
 
Reads: 4207





Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.

Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code





Disclaimer
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment author and are not representative of Caribbean News Now or its staff. Caribbean News Now accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Caribbean News Now reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments. Any content that is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will not be approved.
Before posting, please refer to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.



Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: