Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us
Antigua Gospelfest


Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.


Submit news and opinion for publication


Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.


Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin

News from the Caribbean:

Back To Today's News

More must be done before Bahamas tourism warning lifted, says US official
Published on January 16, 2016 Email To Friend    Print Version

Charge D'Affaires of the US Embassy Lisa Johnson on Thursday held a roundtable discussion with members of the media when she discussed matters of importance. Photo: Torrell Glinton

By Travis Cartwright-Carroll
Nassau Guardian Staff Reporter

NASSAU, Bahamas -- US chargé d'affaires Lisa Johnson said on Thursday the fact that the man charged last week in The Bahamas with raping an American tourist was not licensed to operate a jet ski – as was stated by minister of transport and aviation Glenys Hanna-Martin – is “irrelevant”.

“In a way it is worse that he’s not licensed because it means that there can be people out there doing bad things,” said Johnson at a meet the press event at the US Embassy in Nassau.

“It means the enforcement and licensing system isn’t working as it should. It wouldn’t have had any impact on the advisory if he had been licensed or not. The goal for us is not protecting the industry; it’s keeping American citizens safe.”

Johnson said, while the government’s efforts to better regulate the water sports industry in The Bahamas are a step in the right direction, it will require more focused attention before the embassy lifts its warning on jet ski operators.

Johnson was referring to the recent warning issued by the embassy advising Americans living in and traveling to the country not to patronize jet ski operators in light of several alleged incidents of rape.

The warning came after the alleged rape of the American tourist.

In her response to the matter, Hanna-Martin said the man charged with the rape does not have a licence to operate a jet ski.

On Tuesday, the minister announced measures intended to demonstrate that serious attention is being directed at the concerns.

But Johnson said on Thursday that more can be done.

“I just don’t think at the moment this industry is being licensed, run and enforced in a way that is putting the best foot forward for The Bahamas, and my job is to keep American citizens safe,” she said.

“I see some of the new steps that have been announced by the minister of transport and aviation on the enforcement side.

“I probably would also like to see, and I will be talking to the commissioner of police next week on this, steps that can be taken on the licensing side.

“I want to be sure that people who have been arrested, for instance, for dealing drugs or in sexual assault cases, are not back on the beach.”

Johnson said she is pleased that members of the jet ski community are taking interest in protecting their livelihood, but she said more can be done.

“We’ve had cruise lines that have come to the US Embassy and said that they are concerned that their citizens, their guests are feeling that they are harassed on the beach, that they are approached very aggressively, that they are offered drugs and that their clients don’t like it,” she said.

According to the US Embassy, five US citizens were allegedly sexually assaulted by jet ski operators in the last year and a half.

The embassy characterized the industry as “loosely regulated”.

The embassy has forbidden its employees from using such services.

Hanna-Martin announced that Royal Bahamas Defence Force officers on jet skis are providing surveillance of beaches during hours of operations.

Signage will also be erected on various New Providence and Paradise Island beaches that will outline clear directives to patrons of jet ski operators.

As for licences, Port Authority chairman Tavares LaRoda said on Tuesday that the number of licensed jet ski operators declined recently from 283 to 168.

He noted that several years ago Cabinet placed a moratorium on new licences.

Republished with permission of the Nassau Guardian
Reads: 9097

Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.


Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Enter Code

Please note that, if you are using an AT&T domain email address, e.g.,,, the verification email will likely not be delivered. This is outside of our control and the only remedy seems to be for readers to complain to AT&T

User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment author and are not representative of Caribbean News Now or its staff. Caribbean News Now accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Caribbean News Now reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments. Any content that is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will not be approved.
Before posting, please refer to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Other Headlines:

Regional Sports: