By Krystel Rolle
Nassau Guardian Staff Reporter
NASSAU, Bahamas -- Five men were arrested on Friday in connection with a boating tragedy off in The Bahamas that left at least 11 people dead last week, Assistant Commissioner of Police Leon Bethell said.
According to Bethell, three men were arrested on Friday morning at Potter’s Cay Dock.
Bethell said they were assisting with the investigation.
The men a 28-year-old and 36-year-old from New Providence and a 43-year-old from Abaco were being held at the Central Detective Unit (CDU).
The other two men were arrested in Abaco, police said. Their ages and addresses were unknown.
Police said they were still searching for the man who they suspect was the boat’s captain.
Police released a bulletin for Haitian national Chancelaire Baptiste, 52, of Treasure Cay, Abaco, on Thursday. However, up to Friday they had no leads on his whereabouts.
Anyone with information on Baptiste’s whereabouts is asked to contact police.
Five children were among the people who died when the boat, carrying 28 people, capsized in waters off Crown Haven, North Abaco, last Sunday night, authorities said.
At least seven people reportedly survived the disaster, which police claim was an illegal human smuggling operation.
Ten people were still unaccounted for and feared dead.
Police said earlier in the week that one survivor was assisting them in their probe.
Authorities believe the victims were all Haitians or of Haitian descent, and were being smuggled into the United States. They reportedly departed from Farm Hill near Treasure Cay, Abaco, around 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Republished with permission of the Nassau Guardian