GEORGETOWN, Guyana -- Guyana's Sports Minister Dr Frank Anthony said the domestic cricket impasse is likely to continue, especially since the West Indies Cricket Board continues to ignore the Interim Management Committee (IMC).
A court injunction in February barred the Guyana Cricket Board from running the sport and the government-run IMC, headed by legendary former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd, took over administration.
However, the WICB has repeatedly acknowledged the GCB as the legitimate body to run Guyana’s cricket, a view endorsed by the International Cricket Council.
“The WICB’s position on the IMC is that they don’t recognize the IMC as the body to perform functions in Guyana, when it comes to cricket and since there is no GCB in place, we have a problem,” Anthony said.
“In that regard, we have suggested to the WICB that in the interim, they (WICB) should appoint an agent in Guyana for the purpose of cricket administration and selection of teams.
“We held discussions towards such with Dr Julian Hunte (WICB president) who promised to respond to the government’s request after putting the same to the WICB, but up to now we have not received a response.”
Guyana’s Stabroek News newspaper reported on Saturday that the WICB had rejected the suggestion.
Anthony said the WICB was aware that the GCB and its officials had been prevented by the high court from carrying out any duties of cricket administration, and had also since resigned their positions.
He argued that the IMC had been put in place to streamline the administration of Guyana cricket in the interim but had no desire to take control of the sport.
The minister said the WICB now needed to work with the IMC in finding a solution to the issue that had fractured the sport in the country.
“We cannot play cricket in the courts. People accuse us of wanting to control the cricket and we don’t wish to do that at all. Clearly there is a problem with the administrators who are fighting and we don’t want that to continue, so we are taking measures as directed by the Chief Justice,” Anthony pointed out.
“From our perspective, we want to ask the WICB to work along with us as they are critical to resolving the problems we have here and we have been communicating with them on the issues.
He continued: “The position of the government is very clear. We have put to the WICB, the former GCB have been enjoined and that is a very clear position and that’s the position in law.
“There is an injunction restraining them from performing their duties of the cricket board. We also know that during the year, a number of those executives have resigned.”
The WICB raised concern last week about the impasse after the country failed to submit a squad for January’s Caribbean Twenty20 by the stipulated November 22 deadline.
Subsequently, a GCB official Anand Sanasie said trial games would be staged this weekend and a squad would be selected on Monday.
Anthony said when the IMC had selected and put forward a squad earlier this year, it that been rejected by the WICB, yet the regional governing body was now concerned about Guyana missing deadlines for submission of teams.
“I saw in the media, we are missing the deadline so that’s the situation. Even earlier this year when the IMC selected a team, the WICB did not accept that team so we have a difficulty there,” Anthony pointed out.
“… the only logical way we can resolve the matter, is the WICB appointing an agent on a temporary measure so that we can deal with these issues.”