Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Countries/Territories

Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin



News from the Caribbean:


Back To Today's News

Former Cayman governor denies allegations of criminal misconduct
Published on January 25, 2014 Email To Friend    Print Version

By Caribbean News Now contributor

GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands -- Former Cayman Islands governor, Stuart Jack, has denied allegations that he, along with two other senior officials, committed misconduct in public office, attempted to pervert the course of justice and lied to police.

stuart_jack2.jpg
Stuart Jack
Jack’s denial comes on the heels of a new criminal complaint filed with the Cayman Islands police by Martin Bridger, a former senior detective with London’s Metropolitan Police, who led a high-level corruption investigation in the Cayman Islands between 2007 and 2009.

This follows a similar complaint made by Bridger last year to the Metropolitan Police against the territory’s current attorney general Samuel Bulgin, former governor Jack and the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) adviser Larry Covington.

Following a review of Bridger’s initial complaint, Commander Allan Gibson of London’s Scotland Yard said that the allegations against Bulgin, Jack and Covington amounted to possible "misconduct in public office, attempting to pervert the course of justice and possibly wasting police time.”

Gibson wrote to then Cayman Islands governor, Duncan Taylor, “It is my view the allegations are serious and contain sufficient detail to warrant a criminal investigation."

Taylor subsequently ducked the issue by referring the matter to the Cayman Islands police, who apparently did little or nothing in that regard, no doubt prompting Bridger’s most recent complaint made directly to the local police.

However, allegations that he broke Cayman Islands law are “materially false,” Jack responded.

“I totally reject any suggestion that I acted unlawfully,” he said in a statement to local media. “These allegations are materially false and defamatory.”

martin_bridger4.jpg
Martin Bridger
The criminal complaints centre on what was the trigger for the corruption investigation in the Cayman Islands by Metropolitan Police detectives – a 2007 burglary purportedly in search of what was portrayed as evidence of collusion between the then deputy commissioner of police and a local newspaper publisher to supply confidential information about sensitive police operations.

The Scotland Yard detectives quickly concluded that no such leak existed but then proceeded to investigate the circumstances of the break-in itself, perpetrated by two employees of the Cayman Net News newspaper, based solely upon the fabricated assertion by one of them that there was such a leak and he had seen the evidence in the publisher’s office.

Following the discovery that then police commissioner Stuart Kernohan and one of his senior officers had been privy to the break-in as it was taking place, Kernohan was suspended and later terminated.

However, Kernohan has always maintained that knowledge and responsibility for the break-in went above him and has released a comprehensive statement detailing his discussions with Jack, Bulgin and Covington prior to the commission of the illegal entry.

Kernohan’s statement, if true, makes it clear that all three knew of and approved the burglary beforehand. According to Kernohan, Bulgin even concluded initially that there were insufficient grounds to obtain a search warrant but apparently nevertheless went along with the alternative plans for an illegal entry into the premises.

At the time, it seemed uncharacteristic to some local observers that an experienced police officer of Kernohan’s seniority would fail to get official and/or legal cover for what was an unauthorised entry into private premises, and this in fact now seems not to be the case, if Kernohan’s statement is to be believed.

In a similar statement to the Metropolitan Police last year, former Cayman chief superintendent John Jones alleged that Jack had attempted to “deliberately conceal” the level of his involvement in the break-in and illegal search of the Cayman Net News offices in September 2007.
 
Reads: 7501





Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.

Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code



Please note that, if you are using an AT&T domain email address, e.g. att.net, bellsouth.net, sbcglobal.net, the verification email will likely not be delivered. This is outside of our control and the only remedy seems to be for readers to complain to AT&T





Disclaimer
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment author and are not representative of Caribbean News Now or its staff. Caribbean News Now accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Caribbean News Now reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments. Any content that is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will not be approved.
Before posting, please refer to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

The Caribbean Writer 2014


Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: