Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Countries/Territories

Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin



News from the Caribbean:


Back To Today's News

Fatal migrant vessel capsize in Turks and Caicos prompts calls for inquiry
Published on December 27, 2013 Email To Friend    Print Version

By Caribbean News Now contributor

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands -- The death of 17 migrants following the capsizing of the vessel in which they were travelling after being taken in tow by the Marine Branch of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RTCIPF) has led to allegations of incompetence on the part of the coastal patrol and calls for a full inquiry into the incident.

The vessel had been intercepted by the RTCIPF on Christmas Day and capsized as it was being towed into dock to offload the suspected illegal migrants.

According to Police Commissioner Colin Farquhar, there were 17 confirmed fatalities -- 12 male and five female adults. The remains will be repatriated following post mortems (autopsies) to establish the cause of death.

“I can confirm that 33 people were detained as suspected illegal Haitian immigrants. This group consisted of 21 males, including one child, and 12 females. These people will be repatriated to Haiti at the earliest opportunity,” Farquhar added.

Clara Gardiner, permanent secretary, ministry of border control and labour said, “The 33 survivors will continue to be held in our immigration removal centre on Providenciales until the police have concluded their inquiries. Once these have concluded we will repatriate these people back to Haiti.”

“We are engaged with our colleagues in the Ministry of Health, as well as the Haitian Consul here in the Turks and Caicos Islands, to determine the best course of action as to what should be done with the remains of the 17 person who died at the appropriate time. Clearly, I cannot yet say when this will happen, as the ongoing police inquiry naturally takes precedence,” she added.

Wednesday’s incident is a repeat of a similar event that occurred in May 2007, when an illegal Haitian sloop approached Providenciales and was taken in tow by the TCI coastal unit. It also capsized and at least 36 lost their lives.

Experienced local boatman are laying the blame, at least in part, on the coastal patrol, which in both cases attempted to tow the unstable sloops at too high a speed, making the boat wallow in the high seas.

The normal procedure for towing a low speed sailboat is to come alongside and cross spring lines, moving the boat at approximately 4 to 5 knots until it is safely docked.

According to Farquhar, an initial eye witness account indicated that the capsize was apparently caused by the movement of those on board to one side of what was described as a badly overloaded vessel.

“We will investigate the cause of the capsize accident,” he said.

Members of the Haitian community in the TCI say that the Haitian migrants were under the mistaken impression that opportunities for employment still exist in the territory.

One person said that the call made by TCI's Minister of Immigration Don-Hue Gardiner a year ago to make illegal Haitian immigrants’ lives “unbearable” has now taken on real meaning.
 
Reads: 3657





Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

Edward E. Smith:

Readers,

Prayers go out to the grieving families of those persons losing lives. Whenever there is loss of life, all humanity pains.

I am sure that the authorities will conduct a full and complete investigations, and that those persons, if any, are accordingly dealt with within the confines of the law.

And I call on the Human Rights Commission to insure that rights preservation are held to the highest standards.

Regards,

Dr. Edward E. Smith, FFA.
Leader, Peoples' Progressive Part


Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code





Disclaimer
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment author and are not representative of Caribbean News Now or its staff. Caribbean News Now accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Caribbean News Now reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments. Any content that is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will not be approved.
Before posting, please refer to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

2014 Mind Your Eye


Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: