By Christopher Famous
“Real Bermudians are black. They live in black neighbourhoods, their children go to public school, their partners are other real Bermudians, they don’t go away to school or university, they belong to the union, and they support the Progressive Labour Party.” Ex-OBA Senator Toni Daniels April 26, 2014
Christopher Famous is a Caribbean real estate developer and business owner. Raised in various Caribbean islands such as; Bermuda, Jamaica, St Eustatius and St Kitts and Tortola. He has a weekly social and political column in The Bermuda Sun. Feedback to: email@example.com
It is clear that the OBA, via ex-OBA Senator Toni Daniels’ race-based rants, chooses to look down upon Bermudians who fall into the following categories:
• Married to other Bermudians
• Live in black neighbourhoods
• Have not been to university
• Send their children to public school
• Members of one of these unions:
Perhaps Ms Daniels forgets that the OBA’s entire election campaign was based on attracting black votes. Let’s reflect:
• OBA election flyers had only black faces on them
• OBA promised social and economic equality
• Craig Cannonier’s first speech in 2011 spoke of racial inequalities and of his commitment to addressing them. However, since then he has done nothing.
The OBA has truly run out of steam when their only option left is to degrade Bermudians. They now choose to label those that do not support them as uneducated and non-critical thinkers.
After her race-based, anti-Bermudian rant, Toni Daniels then coyly asks, “Will we ever be able to move forward together?”
She sounds similar to the owner of LA Clippers, Donald Sterling.
"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk," Barack Obama
First at the Table
The priority of the OBA is first and foremost to appease certain non-Bermudian while leaving Bermudians as an afterthought. This is evident from the following OBA actions:-
• Removal of term limits without protecting certain occupations for Bermudians
• Attempted to give the children of non-Bermudians the right to employment without the need of a work permit
• Committed to granting status to the children of expats who were born in Bermuda
• Granted $20 million in hotel tax concessions without directly linking it to a significant number of Bermudian employment
• Refused to reveal the Bermuda Tourism Authority CEO’s salary despite being funded by taxpayers
• Introduced commercial immigration and the concept of selling our land and right to vote
• Amended the Companies Act to allow foreign companies to own residential property while failing to grow Bermudian home ownership
• Amended the Job Makers Incentive Act making it easier for companies’ executives to qualify for PRC status by reducing the minimum Bermudian employee requirement from 25 to 10
• Suggested relaxing the 60/40 rule
As another prime example, the Clarien Bank recently rescinded its staff mortgage benefit. OBA’s MP Bob Richards opted to come to the defence of the bank, who wish to increase profits, instead of the Bermudian employees, who simply wish not to lose their homes.
Based on OBA's actions over the last 16 months, let the people of Bermuda judge who the OBA truly supports.
“And If I have to make it easier for rich white people to own land in Bermuda that is fine!” -- MP Bob Richards HoA, March 1, 2013.