GEORGETOWN, Guyana (GINA) -- Even as efforts to find a way forward continue among representatives from the government, opposition, Region Ten administration, regional Chamber of Commerce and private sector, Linden protestors continue to block the roadways and access to the mining community in Guyana.
Continued civil unrest in Linden has forced President Donald Ramotar to abort a planned visit to the community
And despite some of the protestors’ demands being addressed, access remains prohibited, forcing President Donald Ramotar on July 28 to abort a planned visit to the community to address Lindeners’ concerns, Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon told media operatives on Thursday at a post-Cabinet briefing.
Since then, meetings have been held on a continuous basis, at the Office of the President and will continue until a decision is made and the issue resolved.
“There have been talks about no other government official visiting the Region… the difficulties then with the arrangements and the fact that those difficulties persist I would hazard a guess that the denial of access to the president would be extended to any other member of the administration seeking a similar such exercise,” he said.
A Commission of Inquiry was set up to commence work on what led to the deaths of three protestors on July 18.
“My expectation is that after considerable engagement with the prime stakeholders, the final draft (Terms of Reference) would be approved and I am hoping that it would be presented at today’s sitting of the National Assembly,” Luncheon explained.
However, he stated that, thus far, efforts have been made by both opposition and government members to identify international representatives to serve on the Commission of Inquiry, but no commitments have yet been made.