Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us


Jump to your country or territory of interest

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.


Submit news and opinion for publication


Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.


Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin

News from ECLAC:

United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)

Prev    Next
Turks and Caicos has one of the fastest growing populations in the Caribbean
Published on July 21, 2016Email To Friend    Print Version

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad -- The population of the Turks and Caicos Islands could reach 55,498 people by the year 2027 – compared with 32,199 in 2012 – according to the medium projection in a joint report on Wednesday today by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) subregional headquarters for the Caribbean and the Statistics Department of the Turks and Caicos Government.

Net migration accounts for 68 percent of this projected increase with natural change (births less deaths) accounting for the remaining 32 percent. Immigration of people from neighbouring countries seeking employment created by the development of tourism has been the main driver of population growth in the Turks and Caicos Islands since 1980 when the population was just 7,413.

Citizens of the Turks and Caicos Islands, formerly called Belongers, constitute a declining proportion of the population. They represented 69 percent of the total in 1990, falling to 37 percent in 2012 and, if current trends continue, could represent less than a quarter of the population by 2027.

The Turks and Caicos Islands currently have one of the youngest populations in the Caribbean. This is partly because immigrants tend to be younger working age people. In 2012, the most populous age group was persons between 25 and 44 years (comprising 39 percent of the population). However, the population is ageing; by 2027 the most populous age group will be those between 35 and 54 years (again 39 percent of the total). The proportion of persons aged over 65 will remain relatively low, increasing from 3.5 percent to 7 percent over this period, but continuing to increase rapidly after 2027.

The projections are based on census data, vital statistics and assumptions about future patterns of fertility, mortality and international migration. Population projections are used by policymakers and planners to analyse population trends and their implications for social and economic development including the future demand for resources and services.

ECLAC worked in collaboration with the Statistics Department of the Turks and Caicos Government to develop the population projections and also provided training to the staff of the Statistics Department in the methods and software used to produce the projections. Further details are available in the report published at
Reads : 8629

Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.


Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, it will be a waste of your time typing your submission because we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Enter Code *


Prev    Next


I have a busy schedule but I am also very passionate about make up. I wanted to improve my skills and I am so glad I took this online course I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to gain some additional knowledge as I did. I learned all the secrets of bridal makeup and I am looking forward to taking other classes when they become available.

Other Headlines:

Regional Sports: