Caribbean News Now!

About Us Contact Us

Advertise with us

Reach our daily visitors from around the Caribbean and throughout the world. Click here for rates and placements.

Contribute

Submit news and opinion for publication

Subscribe

Click here to receive our daily regional news headlines by email.

Archives

Click here to browse our extensive archives going back to 2004

Also, for the convenience of our readers and the online community generally, we have reproduced the complete Caribbean Net News archives from 2004 to 2010 here.

Climate Change Watch

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable to rising sea levels brought about by global warming. Read the latest news and information here...

Follow Caribbean News Now on Twitter
Connect with Caribbean News Now on Linkedin
Instagram



News from Cuba:




Cuba
Prev    Next
Cuban opposition activist in maximum security prison
Published on July 7, 2017Email To Friend    Print Version

HAVANA, Cuba -- Jorge Cervantes García, a member of the political opposition group the Patriotic Union of Cuba (Unión Patriótica de Cuba, UNPACU), was detained on 23 May in Las Tunas, central-eastern Cuba.

Weeks before, UNPACU published on its YouTube channel a video called “Horrors in jail” in which Jorge Cervantes interviewed a man who had allegedly been ill-treated in a Cuban prison, and a series of shorter videos which allege corruption by public officials in Cuba.

According to Gretchen Alfonso Torres, his wife, on 22 May she and Jorge Cervantes filed a report with the military prosecutor (fiscalía militar) to denounce that members of the state security agency searched their home and took some of their belongings. The following day, Cuban authorities detained Jorge Cervantes.

Cervantes’ family has not received any official documents setting out the charges against him, but were verbally informed that he is charged with contempt (desacato) and resistance (resistencia). Both provisions of the Criminal Code are frequently used in charges against human rights defenders and political activists in an attempt to stifle free speech, peaceful assembly and association in Cuba.

According to his family, Cervantes was initially held in a police station and later moved to Potosi prison, north of Las Tunas. After refusing to wear the official prison uniform, his family says he was held for at least 20 days in solitary confinement without clothes, until being transferred to a hospital where he remained under detention.

Amnesty International was informed that on 1 July, Jorge Cervantes suspended a reported hunger strike after 39 days. On 3 July, doctors informed his wife that he had been transferred to the Combinado del Este prison, a maximum security prison on the outskirts of Havana, over 600km away from his family in Las Tunas.

Authorities informed his family that he had been transferred because his kidneys were failing, and he would receive better medical attention in the Combinado del Este prison. Doctors have kept his family verbally informed of his health condition, but the family says that they have never received official medical documents.
 
Reads : 2870






Click here to receive daily news headlines from Caribbean News Now!



Back...

Comments:

No comments on this topic yet. Be the first one to submit a comment.

Back...

Send us your comments!  

Send us your comments on this article. All fields are required.

For your contribution to reach us, you must (a) provide a valid e-mail address and (b) click on the validation link that will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.  If the address is not valid or you don't click on the validation link, it will be a waste of your time typing your submission because we will never see it!

Your Name:

Your Email:

(Validation required)

Comments:
Enter Code *

 


Prev    Next

 




Other Headlines:



Regional Sports: